Can Electronic Plan Review Stimulate Economic Development
Local governments may make the claim that with their current economic slumber, implementing an electronic plan review system is just not a priority, regardless of how well it compliments their economic development strategy. However, transitioning to a digital system from a manual process will be less disruptive when there is less activity, and the advantages of streamlining the business process still outweigh the cumulative costs of manual processes – especially in terms of driving economic development.
When it comes to the core issues for developing a sustainable economic plan, cities like New York, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles are focused on job creation, attracting and retaining business, and building green-friendly communities. Electronically reviewing building plans automatically reduces the use of paper and streamlines the review process by up to 50%. Approving building permits for construction projects will take days instead of months which will lead to healthier business relationships and jobs.
Cities that are already leveraging electronic plan review use it primarily for commercial construction projects because of the impact these projects have on local government relationships and the communities they support. Also, that same technology can be extended to any small-medium sized projects that require drawings.
Ways Electronic Plan Review Can Stimulate Economic Development:
- With ePlan, you start and end the review process with a digital asset (electronic file), instead of a physical one. While it is true that many regulations requiring a physical asset (paper, microfiche) still exist, long-term paperless mandates are within reach with ePlan.
- Your customers won’t have to print multiple sets of blueprints for you to use – they will love you for that. Using less paper helps the environment.
- Customers will not have to drive or ship paper to your offices – you’ll both love that. Very good for the budget, traffic and air quality. (Download the Green Calculator at www.avolvesoftware.com to see just how much greener – we mean money here, too – you can be)
- Digital assets are far superior to physical paper when it comes to storage costs, distribution costs, accessibility and re-usability. They can be sent and received at network speeds anywhere in the world and in mission-critical scenarios. This cannot be done with paper.
- ePlan technology uses the same security protocols as the online banking industry, so you and your customers can be sure that all systems, files and intellectual property are safe during submission, review, re-submission and approval.
- You’ll have an unprecedented level of visibility and control over the review process. You can analyze reports that identify weak areas and bottlenecks so you can make improvements and be certain of the results.
- Customers will not have to call you and bug your staff about review status – all the stakeholders can know immediately the status of the review by logging into the project. When tasks are complete, ePlan technology can notify automatically via email to anywhere. Everyone will love that.
Want to discuss this article? Let us know what you think on Twitter: